If driving drowsiness is frequent, it is essential to go to the doctor and get a general check-up, to see if you could have any medical problems, depression, or stress.
These are some of those conditions or reasons of drowsiness when driving:
1.- Sleep apnea
It is a common disorder in which the person who suffers it pauses one or more breaths or has shallow breaths during sleep.
Pauses can last between a few seconds and several minutes. They often occur 30 times or more per hour. In general, breathing returns to normal, sometimes with a loud snore or a sound similar to what a person makes when choking.
Almost always sleep apnea is a chronic (constant) health problem that alters sleep. The person goes from deep sleep to a light sleep when there is a pause in the breath or when the breathing becomes shallow.
For this reason, sleep is of poor quality, and you feel tired during the day. Sleep apnea is one of the main reasons why a person can feel very sleepy during the day.
2.- Sleepiness due to tiredness
This cause itself is not severe, it is only necessary to sleep the appropriate hours, and it is recommended not to drive between 2, and 6 am and between 1 and 4 pm since it is the time at which the body reduces its activity.
3.- Adrenaline Release
This is a common cause of drowsiness, usually, when we are new pilots, it is almost inevitable to feel that emotion when shooting, but if you are an experienced pilot it is an alert system to avoid accidents, but the excess adrenaline release causes the effect opposite after a few minutes, that is. Adrenaline makes our nervous system “hyperactive” our vital functions for that alarm situation, accelerates the heart rate, increases breathing so that the blood is oxygenated as soon as possible and better, dilates the pupils to “see the danger”, It increases the blood pressure of the skeletal muscles, momentarily stops the intestinal movement, takes out our glycogen (glucose) reserves so that our muscles have the maximum fuel … to run or fight.
That is difficult to predict, that is why it is essential to be super alert if you feel that you have this flash of adrenaline, excessive sweating, much happiness, or nerves.
4.- Stress or other illness.
Some other medical conditions present in their symptoms, tiredness, drowsiness, among other things. That is why the general check is essential to see if there is a critical condition to attend.
Whatever the reason, do not miss it because it is proven that the majority of accidents that have nothing to do with alcohol are due to sleepiness.
Surely it has happened to you, the present sun giving us in the face and on the road with hardly any curves and with constant speed the dream begins to enter us, and our eyes close, the principal reason is to anticipate this situation. And because one of the factors is constant speed can be fatal consequences. So we leave you some tips to follow to avoid falling asleep in a race, of course, if you have any medical condition, it is essential to follow the doctor’s recommendations.
Tips to avoid drowsiness while driving.
- You have to be aware of the risk you run and the first thing, therefore, is to rest enough hours before a trip, and do not trust stimulants such as coffee, coke, etc., since they do not prevent the appearance of microsueños: dreams of only four or five seconds, which can cost you your life.
- They should be stopped every two hours to stretch the body. According to a study, after four hours at the wheel, the driver takes twice as much to react to an unforeseen event.
- By day, wear sunglasses because driving for many minutes exposed to the sun accelerates the onset of sleep.
- Do not drink alcohol or drugs 24 hours before because, being nervous system depressants, they cause drowsiness.
- In case of taking medications, inquire if they cause drowsiness. In antihistamines, for example, this side effect is widespread.
- Travel by day or, at least, avoid displacement between 2 and 6 in the morning and 1 and 4 in the afternoon, in which the body relaxes, and the risk of accidents multiply.
- Replace fatty and dense foods with foods rich in protein and vitamins. Drink a lot of water.
- I get chewing gum and candy, according to a study from the University of Zaragoza, awaken the senses and contribute to improving attention and perception capabilities.
- Have ventilation in your helmet and maintain a proper temperature.
- Talk to your backpack; don’t put relaxing music.
- Discontinue driving before one of these fatigue symptoms: constant blinking, difficulty focusing your eyesight, noise sensitivity or perception of buzzing or the inability to keep your head straight.
Now that you know the causes of sleep and how to avoid it, do not miss our recommendations and travel safely, remember that your safety is first and yours are waiting for you at home.